Graduate Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid

The Chemistry Department and University seek to provide financial support in the form of tuition waivers and stipends to graduate students whenever possible. Eligible graduate students are supported through department-sponsored teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and a limited number of University graduate scholarships. A majority of our graduate students receive some kind of financial assistance.

A limited number of teaching assistantships (TAs) are available to qualified students. Graduate teaching assistants must meet or exceed all criteria for maintaining graduate status and make satisfactory progress toward the degree. Graduate students are limited to no more than the equivalent of six full-time quarters of service as graduate teaching assistants. TAs are required to be enrolled full time. These assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis. Each TA carries a nine-month stipend of $15,300 and a waiver of either in-state or out-of-state tuition to qualified applicants. TA positions are normally awarded on a year-by-year basis. TA positions require a 20-hour per week commitment and involve instructional duties in introductory-level chemistry laboratory sections.

International students become eligible for TAs following completion of their first year of study. Exceptions can be made for international students for whom English is their native language or who have lived in an English-speaking country for an extended time period.

Research assistantships (RAs) may be available to students through their chosen faculty advisor. Normally RAs are offered to students in their second year of study and require a full-time commitment. RA positions provide a full tuition waiver (for either in-state and out-of-state tuition) as well as a stipend.

In addition to these programs, the University sponsors a limited number of competitive scholarships to help defray the costs of obtaining a graduate education. Contact the Graduate School Office at (360) 650-3170 for more information.