Prospective and Transfer Student Advising

Prospective Students

We're excited that you're interested in pursuing a degree in chemistry or biochemistry, and even more excited that you're interested in pursuing it at Western! 

Whether you are a freshman or a transfer student - transitioning into college or a new school can be stressful. If you would like to schedule an appointment or get in contact with an advisor please do so.

Visit our Advising Page for extensive information about our majors, plans of study, and what it means to be Phase I/Phase II in a chemistry major. 

One helpful tool for keeping track of degree progress and planning for future quarters is DegreeWorks. If you want to learn more about how to use this program, feel free to reach out and schedule an appointment!

Freshman/New Student Appointments

Chemistry Hours

The Chemistry Department Main Office (CB 270) is open:

Spring Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday

9:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm


9:00 am - 12:00 pm

Advisors are available by phone and email Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm | 360-650-3070

Transfer Student Resources

Transferring to Western?

Welcome! We're glad to have you. Transferring schools can be difficult and stressful, we have outlined a few of the most common transfer issues here so you can do your best to avoid them.

Transferring Courses from In State

All public, Washington state colleges and universities have had all courses evaluated by our transfer credit specialists. If you are transferring credits from a public Washington state college or university, see our Transfer Equivalency Guide 

This guide will outline all courses, including General University Requirements (GURs).

Transferring Courses from Out of State

Out of state and private in-state institutions have not been evaluated for their courses and how they transfer to WWU. If you would like our department to take a look at your the chemistry courses you are transferring in to determine equivalency please fill out our Transfer Equivalency Request Form 

Transfer Student Appointments

New and Prospective Students Frequently Asked Questions


What classes should I take if I'm interested in chemistry or biochemistry?

Starting the general chemistry sequence is a beneficial course sequence students can start taking regardless of what major they are pursuing in the sciences. Many science degrees require the general chemistry courses. Often they are also prerequisites to certain departments' courses. 

Can I begin CHEM 161 my first quarter as a freshman?

Yes, students are able to begin CHEM 161 their first quarter as long as they have met the math pre-requisite (MATH 114). You can meet this pre-requisite by transferring in a pre-calculus course with PC1 credit, receiving a 2 or above on the AP Calculus exam, or receiving a 70+ on the Math Placement Exam. The Math Department's flow chart of courses can be found here. 

How will my IB/AP test credit transfer?

We do accept both IB and AP test credits. You can read more about the university's policy here.

How do my transfer courses affect my Western GPA?

Your overall Western GPA will not be affected by any transfer courses. However, individual departments, including the Chemistry Department, may use your grades in the courses you have transferred to Western for applications to majors, scholarships, etc. 

Can I retake a course at Western that I received transfer credit for?

The Chemistry Department does allow students to retake chemistry courses at Western even if they receive transfer credit for them. The most common time students do this taking the entire general chemistry series even if they receive AP credit for CHEM 161-162. The Chemistry Department will offer students overrides to register for these courses. Please contact

When should I meet with an advisor?

Our department has two program advisors who are always happy to help students. Typically, the sooner students come to see an advisor the more prepared they will be. 

Why should I meet with an advisor?

Advisors can help you create a plan of study for the next few quarters, or help you plan out courses until you have graduated. They can also help you declare into your pre-major which will give you priority access to certain classes necessary for your chemistry or biochemistry major.