James Vyvyan , PhD
Professor of Organic Chemistry
My research interests are in the broad field of synthetic chemistry. Projects in my group range from the total synthesis of natural products possessing unusual structural features and biological properties to developing new synthetic methods. Ring formation by intramolecular epoxide opening has been a theme in our work for many years. Our work often requires detailed analysis of NMR spectra to characterize new compounds and assign relative stereochemistry.
Educational & Professional Experience
- B.S. University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1991.
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 1995.
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Postdoctoral Fellow, Hope College, 1995-1997.
Selected Awards & Honors
WWU Arlan D. Norman Student Mentoring Award 2018
UW-Eau Claire President’s Award 2014
WWU Paul J. Olscamp Research Award 2011
WWU Peter J. Elich Excellence in Teaching Award 2008
Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award 2003
Cottrell Scholar of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement 1999
Lee I. Smith Stainless Steel Beaker Award, University of Minnesota 1995
33. #Shelton, P. M. M.; *Grosslight, S. M.; #Mulligan, B. J.; *Spargo, H. V.; *Saad, S. S.; Vyvyan, J. R. “Synthesis of guaipyridine alkaloids (±)-cananodine and (±)-rupestines D and G using an intramolecular Mizoroki-Heck reaction,” Tetrahedron 2020, 76, 131500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2020.131500.
32. #Starchman, E. S.; *Marshall, M. S.; Vyvyan, J. R. “Synthesis of (±)-rupestines B and C by intramolecular Mizoroki-Heck reaction,” Tetrahedron Lett. 2020, 61, 151837. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2020.151837
31. Vyvyan, J. R.; #Engles, C. A.; *Bray, S. L.; *Wold, E. D.; *Porter, C. L.; *Konev, M. O. “Synthesis of trisubstituted Z-styrenes by Hiyama-type coupling of oxasilacycloalkenes: Application to the synthesis of a 1-benzoxocane,” Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2017, 13, 2122-2127. DOI: 10.3762/bjoc.13.209
30. #Shelton, P.; #Ligon, T. J.; #Dell, J. M.; *Yarbrough, L.; Vyvyan, J. R. “Synthesis of cananodine by intramolecular epoxide opening,” Tetrahedron Lett. 2017, 58, 3478-3481. DOI: 10.1016/j.tetlet.2017.07.080.
29. Vyvyan, J. R.; #Longworth (née Dimmitt), H. E.; *Nguyen, S. “Synthesis of (±)-centrolobine using a gold-catalyzed cycloetherification,” Synlett, 2016, 2221-2224. DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1562463. Featured in Organic Chemistry Highlights edited by Douglass F. Taber, January 8, 2018: http://www.organic-chemistry.org/Highlights/2018/08January.shtm